Amazon is one of the largest and most popular online marketplaces in the world, with millions of customers searching for products every day. If you want to sell your products on Amazon and reach more potential buyers, you need to optimize your product listings for relevant keywords that match what customers are looking for.
Keywords are words or phrases that describe your product and its features. They help customers find your product when they type in a search term on Amazon’s search bar. The more keywords you are indexed for, the more chances you have of showing up in search results and attracting clicks.
However, ranking your keywords on Amazon is not as simple as just listing them in your product title or description. You need to follow some best practices and use some tools to make sure that your keywords are relevant, popular, and competitive.
In this article, we will show you how to rank your keywords on Amazon using four steps:
- Research your target keywords
- Optimize your product listings
- Track your keyword performance
- Improve your keyword strategy
Step 1: Research Your Target Keywords
The first step of ranking your keywords on Amazon is to research what keywords are relevant for your product niche and target audience. You can use various methods and tools to find out what keywords customers are using when they search for products like yours on Amazon.
One method is to use Amazon’s own search bar and look at what suggestions appear when you type in a general term related to your product category or subcategory. For example, if you sell kids’ shoes, you can type in “kids shoes” or “shoes for kids” and see what suggestions come up.
Another method is to use third-party tools that analyze Amazon’s data and provide keyword research reports for different products or categories. Some examples of these tools are:
- Keyword Scout: A tool that helps you find profitable keywords based on sales volume, competition level, difficulty score, and more.
- Jungle Scout: A tool that helps you discover new products, track competitors’ sales rank history, optimize product listings, and more.
- Helium 10: A tool that helps you find high-demand products based on sales rank history, keyword research reports, product reviews analysis, inventory management features, and more.
Using these tools or methods can help you generate a list of potential keywords that describe your product’s features, benefits, uses cases, variations, synonyms, etc.
Step 2: Optimize Your Product Listings
The second step of ranking your keywords on Amazon is to optimize your product listings with those keywords in strategic places where they can be easily seen by customers who are searching for them.
The most important place where you should include keywords in your listing is in the title of each individual listing (also known as ASIN). The title should be clear, concise, catchy, and include the main keyword that describes what your product does or offers.
- Kids’ Shoes – Size 10 – Canvas Sneakers – Fun Colors – Comfortable Fit – Perfect for School & Play
- Women’s Sneakers – Leather Upper – Lace Up Closure – Breathable Mesh Liner – Stylish & Casual
The title should also include some secondary keywords that support or complement the main keyword, such as brand name (if applicable), model name (if applicable), color name (if applicable), size name (if applicable), etc.
- Nike Air Max 270 React Sneakers – Black/White/Red
- Adidas Originals Superstar Shoes – White/Black/Red
The title should be no longer than 200 characters (including spaces) because anything longer will be truncated by Amazon’s search engine.
Another place where you should include keywords in your listing is in the bullet points under each feature section (also known as bullet points). The bullet points should highlight the main benefits or advantages of using or buying your product based on the customer’s needs, wants, or pain points.
- Made from durable canvas material that resists wear & tear
- Features elastic side panels for easy slip-on & off
- Provides cushioning & support with air-filled midsole & rubber outsole
The bullet points should also include some secondary keywords that relate to each feature section, such as material name, size name, color name, etc.
- Canvas upper with fun prints and colors to match any outfit
- Size 10 fits most kids aged 5 to 7 years old
- Available in blue, pink, green, and yellow
The bullet points should be no longer than 500 characters (including spaces) because anything longer will be ignored by Amazon’s search engine.
A third place where you should include keywords in your listing is in the product description section (also known as description). The product description should provide more details and information about your product that are not covered in the title or the bullet points. It should also tell a story or create an emotional connection with the customer by using persuasive language and tone.
- Are you looking for a pair of shoes that your kids will love to wear every day? Look no further than our Kids’ Shoes – Size 10 – Canvas Sneakers – Fun Colors – Comfortable Fit – Perfect for School & Play. These shoes are designed to make your kids happy and comfortable, whether they are running, jumping, or playing. They are made from durable canvas material that resists wear and tear, and features elastic side panels for easy slip-on and off. They also provide cushioning and support with air-filled midsole and rubber outsole, so your kids can enjoy their activities without hurting their feet. Plus, they come in four fun colors and prints that will match any outfit and personality. Your kids will love these shoes so much, they will never want to take them off!
- If you are looking for a pair of sneakers that are stylish and casual, you will love our Women’s Sneakers – Leather Upper – Lace Up Closure – Breathable Mesh Liner – Stylish & Casual. These sneakers are perfect for any occasion, whether you are going to work, shopping, or hanging out with friends. They are made from high-quality leather material that gives them a sleek and elegant look, and features a lace-up closure that ensures a secure and comfortable fit. They also have a breathable mesh liner that keeps your feet cool and dry, and a rubber outsole that provides traction and durability. Plus, they come in three classic colors that will go well with any outfit and style. These sneakers are so versatile and comfortable, you will want to wear them every day!
The product description should be no longer than 2000 characters (including spaces) because anything longer will be cut off by Amazon’s search engine.
Step 3: Track Your Keyword Performance
The third step of ranking your keywords on Amazon is to track how well your keywords are performing in terms of ranking, traffic, and conversions. You can use various tools and metrics to monitor and measure your keyword performance and see if you need to make any adjustments or improvements.
Some of the tools and metrics you can use are:
- [Amazon Seller Central]: A platform that allows you to manage your seller account, inventory, orders, reports, and more. You can use it to access various metrics such as sales rank, sessions, page views, units ordered, conversion rate, etc.
- [Amazon Advertising]: A service that allows you to create and run ads on Amazon and other platforms to promote your products and increase your visibility. You can use it to access various metrics such as impressions, clicks, cost-per-click, advertising cost of sales, etc.
- [Amazon Brand Analytics]: A feature that allows you to access valuable insights and data about your brand, products, customers, and competitors. You can use it to access various metrics such as search frequency rank, click share, conversion share, market basket analysis, etc.
Using these tools or metrics can help you evaluate the effectiveness of your keywords and see if they are driving more traffic and sales to your product listings.
Step 4: Improve Your Keyword Strategy
The fourth and final step of ranking your keywords on Amazon is to improve your keyword strategy based on the results and feedback you get from tracking your keyword performance. You can use various methods and tools to optimize and enhance your keywords and make them more relevant, popular, and competitive.
Some of the methods and tools you can use are:
- Keyword refinement: A method that involves adding, removing, or modifying keywords based on their performance and relevance. You can use tools such as Keyword Scout, Jungle Scout, or Helium 10 to find new or better keywords or eliminate low-performing or irrelevant keywords.
- Keyword testing: A method that involves experimenting with different keywords or combinations of keywords to see which ones perform better or worse. You can use tools such as Amazon Advertising or Amazon Brand Analytics to run tests or campaigns with different keywords or variations of keywords and compare the results.
- Keyword analysis: A method that involves studying and understanding the behavior and preferences of your customers and competitors regarding keywords. You can use tools such as Amazon Brand Analytics or Helium 10 to analyze the search trends, click patterns, conversion rates, market share, etc. of your customers and competitors and see what keywords they are using or responding to.
Using these methods or tools can help you improve your keyword strategy and make it more aligned with your product niche and target audience.
How to Achieve Keyword Success on Amazon
Ranking your keywords on Amazon is not a one-time task, but an ongoing process that requires constant research, optimization, tracking, and improvement. By following the four steps we outlined in this article, you can rank your keywords on Amazon and boost your product visibility, traffic, and sales.
However, ranking your keywords on Amazon is not the only factor that determines your success as a seller. You also need to have a high-quality product, a competitive price, a good customer service, and a positive reputation. These factors, along with your keyword optimization, will help you stand out from the crowd and win the trust and loyalty of your customers.
We hope this article has helped you learn how to rank your keywords on Amazon and achieve keyword success. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact us. We are always happy to help you with your Amazon selling journey. Thank you for reading and happy selling!